The National Dairy Council/NFL Fuel Up to Play 60 program is a great way to get students to take ownership of their health. Fuel Up to Play 60 is also a wonderful opportunity for schools to earn funding to help kick start—and sustain—healthy nutrition and physical activity improvements at a systemic level. Part of the reason we love FUTP60 so much is that it addresses challenges at both levels: individual students, and school-wide.
Your K-12 school can compete to receive up to $4000 per year in FUTP60 grants; the next grant application deadline is on October 1, 2012. October may seem far away now, but the start of the 2012-13 school year is just one month away for some. Why not apply early and get that ball rolling?
These funds can be used to expand and extend existing initiatives in your school, or to roll out a new program. You must be enrolled in Fuel Up to Play 60 to apply—enroll online. Continue reading for more information about how to apply for FUTP60 funding for your school.
In order to apply for funds you must be enrolled in the Fuel Up to Play 60 program; if you are not, you can enroll online. In addition to being enrolled, you must:
- Have a Program Advisor signed up at your school. You can start the application before a Program Advisor is designated, but a PA must be signed up before the application is submitted.
- Participate in the National School Lunch Program (NSLP)
- Complete & submit an online Funds for Fuel Up to Play 60 application form (PDF)
- Complete the School Wellness Investigation (this must be complete before the application is submitted, but you can work on the application prior to the investigation)
- Secure the support and involvement of the school principal, school nutrition professional, lead physical education teacher, and the school’s FUTP60 Program Advisor
Help & FAQs
To improve your chances of being awarded Funds for Fuel Up to Play 60, review this resource page to help you plan and apply for the grant. Assess the current situation and identify your students’ needs; ask yourself where the funds can help fill gaps and maximize impact.
Learn more about the purpose of the funds, application guidelines and tips, the judging process, and more by reviewing the FAQ-style “What Do We Need to Know about Funds for Fuel Up to Play 60” resource page.