Our popular Webinar Wednesday series continues on April 18, 2012 with a webinar dedicated to the topic of food safety. “Managing Food Safety When Handling Fresh Produce in Schools” is offered by the School Nutrition Foundation in partnership with the United States Department of Agriculture’s Food and Nutrition Service’s Office of Food Safety. This webinar is FREE, and will be held at 2 p.m. on Wednesday, April 18th. Please join us!
Our learning objectives in this webinar are threefold:
- Participants will be able to explain why fresh produce is associated with an increased risk of foodborne illness, and will be able to identify types of fresh produce that are considered potentially hazardous.
- Participants will understand best practices for handling fresh produce in schools, including recommendations for classrooms and salad bars.
- Participants will learn about strategies for training school nutrition staff to handle fresh produce.
Helping us navigate this topic will be professors from Kansas State University’s Center of Excellence for Food Safety Research in Child Nutrition Programs. We will learn why fresh produce is associated with an increased risk of foodborne illness, and our experts will provide recommendations for minimizing risk when handling produce throughout the school environment, including classrooms and salad bars. We will also hear from the school nutrition director at Ventura Unified School District (CA) and a representative from the Alabama Department of Education will discuss fresh produce handling practices and training strategies. We will also be learning about resources available to you from USDA to manage produce safety and train staff on handling fresh produce in schools.
Our Presenters and Speakers
- Dr. Kevin R. Roberts, Assistant Professor and Director, Kansas State University, The Center of Excellence for Food Safety Research in Child Nutrition Programs (Manhattan, KS)
- Dr. Kevin Sauer, RD, Assistant Professor, Kansas State University, The Center of Excellence for Food Safety Research in Child Nutrition Programs (Manhattan, KS)
- Sandy Curwood, MS, RD; Director, Food and Nutrition Services, Ventura Unified School District (Ventura, CA)
- June Barrett, M.Ed., RD; Administrator, School Programs, Alabama Department of Education (Montgomery, AL)
- Julie Skolmowski, MPH, RD, SNS; Food Safety Specialist, Office of Food Safety, USDA Food and Nutrition Service (Alexandria, VA)
- Date: Wednesday, April 18, 2012
- Time: 2 p.m. EDT/1 p.m. CDT/12 p.m. MDT/ 11 a.m. PDT
- Duration: 75 minutes
- Registration: Online registration is open
Social Media Links
- Center of Excellence in Food Safety Research in Child Nutrition Programs on Facebook and Twitter
- Alabama Department of Education on Facebook and Twitter
- USDA on Facebook
- USDA Food Safety and Inspection Service on Twitter
- USDA Food Safety Information Center on Twitter
- USDA Food Safety Research Information Office on Twitter