When it comes to school breakfast, one of the biggest concerns we hear cited is in regard to funding. “Where will I find the money?” is a question often raised by school foodservice directors who are convinced that school breakfast is a great idea, but are not convinced they can achieve that goal in their own district.
Are you one of those directors? Or maybe a foodservice staffer, or teacher, or school administrator who has been dreaming about a breakfast program but a lack of funding has been putting things on hold? It’s time to take action, by applying for a Fuel Up Breakfast Grant from Fuel Up to Play 60 and General Mills Foodservice.
The Fuel Up Breakfast Grants program is designed to improve student access to high-quality, nutritious foods at school; specifically targeted to the morning meal, the breakfast grants provide funds to help schools improve or expand their breakfast program with an emphasis on alternative breakfast options that are sustainable. The grant application deadline is July 31, 2012; schools may apply for up to $2000 in grant funding.
Fuel Up Breakfast Grant Eligibility Criteria
In order to be considered for the Fuel Up Breakfast Grant, your school must:
- Complete and submit an accurate online grant application
- Participate in the National School Breakfast Program
- Be enrolled in the Fuel Up to Play 60 program for the 2012-13 school year and agree to participate fully by displaying the Fuel Up to Play 60 Activation Kit materials, and encouraging students to track their healthy eating and physical activity online. (FUTP60 enrollment is free of charge; schools can enroll online.)
- Have the support and backing of the school principal, district school nutrition director, and school nutrition manager
- Have a school enrollment of at least 500 students
- Have the opportunity to raise breakfast participation (i.e. current participation is less than or equal to 40 percent)
The application deadline for the Fuel Up Breakfast Grants is July 31, 2012; schools will be notified (accept/decline) by August 15, 2012, and grant payment will be disbursed by August 31, 2012. Breakfast implementation must be complete through December 17, 2012, and a final report is due from schools by January 17, 2013.