With the end of the school year just around the corner, filling out one more application for funding may seem impossible—especially if the deadline is Tuesday, June 4! But we don’t want you to miss the opportunity to apply for Fuel Up to Play 60 funds. Schools enrolled in FUTP60 are eligible to receive up to $4000 per year to help their school community get healthy through improving nutrition and physical activity. Fuel Up to Play 60 gives everyone the opportunity to get involved and get active—students, teachers, administrators, and families.
Fuel up to Play 60 funds can be used to expand and extend existing initiatives in your school, or to roll out a new program, but you must be enrolled in Fuel Up to Play 60 to apply. Enroll online now!
In order to apply for funds you must be enrolled in the Fuel Up to Play 60 program; if you are not, you can enroll online. In addition to being enrolled, you must:
- Have a Program Advisor (PA) signed up at your school. You can start the application before a Program Advisor is designated, but a PA must be signed up before the application is submitted.
- Participate in the National School Lunch Program (NSLP)
- Complete & submit an online Funds for Fuel Up to Play 60 application form (PDF) (NOTE: Due to high demand, California is not currently eligible to receive Fuel Up to Play 60 funds.)
- Complete the School Wellness Investigation (this must be complete before the application is submitted, but you can work on the application prior to the investigation)
- Secure the support and involvement of the school principal, school nutrition professional, lead physical education teacher, and the school’s FUTP60 Program Advisor
- If your school received Funds for Fuel Up to Play 60 in prior school years, all required reporting must have been submitted in order to be eligible for funding in the 2012-13 school year.
There are two funding application deadlines during the 2013-14 school year:
- June 4, 2013 (If approved for funding, the money will be distributed after June 30, 2013, and will count toward the school’s funding for the 2013-14 school year.)
- November 1, 2013
Schools may submit an application during more than one funding cycle per school year. The total amount of money awarded for the 2013-14 school year (June and November 2013 deadlines) can be up to $4,000.
Help & FAQs
To improve your chances of being awarded Funds for Fuel Up to Play 60, review this resource page to help you plan and apply for the grant. Assess the current situation and identify your students’ needs; ask yourself where the funds can help fill gaps and maximize impact.
Learn more about the purpose of the funds, application guidelines and tips, the judging process, and more by reviewing the FAQ-style “What Do We Need to Know about Funds for Fuel Up to Play 60” resource page.