We love going “back-to-school” with breakfast-in-the-classroom! It’s exciting to see BIC programs rolling out in our funded districts, like Austin ISD (TX), Center School District (MO), and Livingston Parish Public Schools (LA), to name a few.
We were thrilled to see so many school breakfast champions Tweeting about breakfast-in-the-classroom. We took a screenshot of this Austin ISD principal’s promise to enjoy breakfast-in-the-classroom with every one of his classrooms by the end of October. What a great way to connect with students!
Cycle 4 grant recipients in Center School District are just rolling out their breakfast-in-the-classroom programs as the new year begins. Moving breakfast from the cafeteria to the classroom strengthens teacher-student relationships and provides additional opportunities for learning.
We love the back-to-school breakfast-in-the-classroom promotion efforts from our friends in Livingston Parish Public Schools. Eye-catching signage and a contest with a cool prize–an Amazon Echo!–are a great way to get students’ attention.
September is Attendance Awareness Month
This summer we took part in a three-part webinar series from Attendance Works to learn more about raising awareness about the importance of school attendance. September is Attendance Awareness month, and we’ll be spending the month amplifying the experts on strategies to help you improve school attendance. Did you know breakfast-in-the-classroom is associated with improved attendance and fewer tardies? Make sure you’re following us on Twitter and Facebook this month as we learn and share the reasons why #AttendanceMatters.
Partners for Breakfast in the Classroom: Our Districts In the News
They say there is no such thing as bad press, but it’s great to see such positive stories about breakfast-in-the-classroom! Many of our funded districts have made headlines recently:
- Cycle 2 grant recipient Des Moines Public Schools: Quick & Healthy Breakfast Options for Kids Before School
- In addition to expanding their existing breakfast-in-the-classroom program with a Partners for BIC grant, Austin ISD has implemented share tables in an effort to reduce waste: Austin ISD Encourages Students to Share Food
- Cycle 4 grant recipient Center School District is also piloting a study to determine whether protein improves student focus and attention: Center School District is Serving Breakfast in the Classroom–and Boosting the Protein
Cool stuff to help you get back-to-school with breakfast-in-the-classroom:
- FRAC’s “Breakfast Matters” webinar on Thursday, September 13: “Creating a Participatory School Nutrition Program that Improves Student Health“
- School Nutrition Foundation Breakfast-in-the-Classroom Resource Center
- NEA Foundation Breakfast in the Classroom Resources