Are you ready for National School Breakfast Week? It’s time to “Start Your Engines” and prepare to celebrate all the great things about school breakfast, March 4-8, 2019. We look forward to #NSBW every year, because it gives us the opportunity to celebrate and elevate an important program that feeds more than fourteen million students every day in the United States.
This year’s “Start Your Engines with School Breakfast” theme is designed to show parents, students, and school officials the benefits of fueling up in the morning with a. nutritious school breakfast. Today we’re sharing some of our favorite resources to help you get started—or finish—your #NSBW19 planning and promotion.
Head over to SNA’s official National School Breakfast Week page to find everything you need to plan your #NSBW19 celebration:
- Download the #NSBW19 Toolkit for tips and ideas to help you and your school nutrition staff plan your celebration;
- Request logos & artwork to help you promote #NSBW19 on social media;
- Get marketing and PR materials, including a cool infographic, social media tips sheet, a press release, and more to promote your #NSBW19 celebration on and offline.
Breakfast Resources from FRAC
Our partners at Food Research & Action Center are holding several webinars this spring relating to school breakfast. Mark your calendar for one or more of the following:
- Tuesday, March 12: “CEP 30 Minute Deep-Dive Webinar: Understanding the Relationship between Community Eligibility and Title I Funding”
- Thursday, March 14: “Breakfast Matters Webinar: Making Community Eligibility Work with ISPs Between 40 & 60 Percent”
- Tuesday, March 19: “CEP 30 Minute Deep Dive Webinar: Strategies for Grouping Schools for Community Eligibility”
Stay tuned this month for the release of FRAC’s annual School Breakfast Scorecard and Large District Report, and don’t forget to join us on Friday, February 15, for a #FoodFri #SchoolBreakfast Twitter chat with MomsRising and FRAC. You can follow us on Twitter at @BreakfastClsrm and @BeyondBreakfast.
Breakfast in the Classroom for #NSBW19
National School Breakfast Week could be the perfect time to pilot breakfast-in-the-classroom, or to pitch stakeholders on the benefits of serving breakfast in the classroom (improved academic achievement, behavioral outcomes, attendance). Here are some of our favorite BIC resources to help you get started:
- Partners for Breakfast in the Classroom videos help you illustrate concepts like assessing equipment needs and how to choose a delivery and distribution model for your BIC program;
- The Partners for BIC Best Practices and Success Stories Toolkit includes focus group, satisfaction surveys, and more tools to help you create a successful, sustainable BIC program;
- Check out our list of Suggested Activities for School Breakfast, broken down by grade;
- Visit our partners at the NEA Foundation for breakfast-in-the-classroom information and tips geared toward educators;
- Grab additional stats about school meals from the SNA website.