Have you been thinking about going back to school, but financial considerations held you back? If so, now is the time to apply for a School Nutrition Foundation Professional Development scholarship. There are five scholarships available now, and the application period is open! More great news: prepare your responses for the application in the Common Application Preparation Worksheet, then copy and paste into the online application to be considered for all five scholarships.
Applications are due by 11:59 p.m. (ET) on Tuesday, April 4, 2017. Your application will be considered for the following scholarships:
- New! SNA Professional Development Scholarship: Funded by a donation to SNA, these scholarships are new this year. Scholarships up to $2500 each will be awarded.
- Schwan’s Food Service Scholarship: Schwan’s Food Service, Inc., makes an annual donation to offer multiple scholarships of up to $2500 each.
- SNF Professional Growth Scholarship: This scholarship is funded by SNA members through past special events. Scholarships up to $2500 are awarded.
- Sandi Brooker Scholarship: This scholarship ensures that Sandi’s positive impact on others is continued, by assisting others achieve their dream of continued education. Two scholarships of $1000 each are awarded yearly.
- Nancy Curry Scholarship: Funded by Handguards, Inc., and friends of Nancy Curry, this scholarship awards one recipient $500 each year.
To be eligible to receive an education scholarship, applicants must be:
- An active SNA member for at least one year (since January 1, 2016)
- Currently employed in school foodservice as an operator/state agency (industry and student members not eligible)
- Enrolled, or will be enrolled, in a degree program at a vocational/technical, undergraduate, graduate, or post-graduate level in the United States in a program of study that falls into one or more of the USDA Professional Standards subject areas.
Note: Children of SNA members are no longer eligible to apply for scholarships. To confirm your SNA membership, please call (800) 877-8822.
Still not sure you want to apply? Maybe some testimonials from fellow SNA members, and past scholarship winners, will help convince you!
Mark Bordeau, Broome-Tioga BOCES, New York: “School nutrition is a complex, in-depth program, and I wanted to go back so I could learn the latest and greatest business practices to do the best I can at the job I have.”
Sarah Keen, Schuylerville, New York: “I wouldn’t be very competitive in a few years with just my bachelor’s degree. I love what I’m doing, but I can see myself being ready for bigger challenges down the road and a master’s will make me more competitive no matter what.”
Michelle Gifford, Painesville, Ohio: “To go back to school at 44 years old—when my daughters are going to school—and starting over was daunting enough. Thinking about the financial ramifications was also daunting, but jumping in with both feed and look for help from SNA, that’s been a great growth experience for me.”