It’s scholarship season here at the School Nutrition Foundation! We recently announced that the application period for the Baxter Equipment for Education Grant is open, and now we’re here to tell you about an opportunity for you to apply for and receive an educational scholarship from the School Nutrition Foundation. Our new 5-in-1 application—including a checklist—makes the application process faster and simpler than ever.
SNF Education Scholarships provide SNA members with funding for tuition and books for the 2015-16 school year, to be used in pursuit of a degree in a school foodservice-related program of study at a vocational/technical, undergraduate, graduate, or post-graduate level. Over $50,000 in scholarship funding is available, and the application period opened on January 6, 2015; applications must be submitted by Monday, April 6, 2015 via the online SNA Common Application form, which automatically applies qualified individuals for all available education scholarships.
SNF’s 2015 Common Application will automatically act as an application for each of the following scholarships:
- NEW! SNF Annual Fund Scholarship: Funded by donations to the SNF 2014 Annual Fund by SNA members to offer multiple scholarships of up to $2500 each. $25,000 of funding is available this year for SNF Annual Fund Scholarships.
- SNF Professional Growth Scholarship: Funded by SNA members through donations to the School Nutrition Foundation; scholarships of up to $2500 each are awarded.
- Schwan’s Food Service Scholarship: Enabling SNF to “foster good nutrition in school lunch programs and to improve school foodservice management,” Schwan’s annual donation provides funds to the SNF scholarship program; scholarships of up to $2500 each are available.
- Sandi Brooker Scholarship: The Sandi Brooker Scholarship is a way to ensure that Sandi’s positive impact on so many people is continued by helping others achieve the dream of continued education. Two scholarships of $1000 are awarded each year.
- Nancy Curry Scholarship: Funded by Handgards, Inc., and friends of Nancy, this scholarship is for SNA members employed in school foodservice. One $500 scholarship is awarded each year.
To be eligible to receive an education scholarship, you must:
- Ben active SNA member, who has been a SNA member for at least one year as of February 1, 2014, and a history of employment in school foodservice. If you need to confirm SNA membership, call 1-800-877-8822.
- Demonstrate an interest in obtaining a degree in a foodservice-related field, and a desire to make school foodservice a career.
- Registered in a degree program as an undergraduate or graduate student, or be accepted, at a vocational/technical institution, community college, college, or university in the United States that offers a degree program which falls into one or more of the SNA Keys to Excellence subject areas: Operations; Nutrition, Nutrition Education, and Physical Activity; Administration; Marketing & Communications.
- Provide a letter of acceptance with the application. If the applicant has been accepted to multiple institution, send the letter from the institution that the applicant is most likely to attend.
- Have a satisfactory academic record, and submit a current transcript from the most recently attended academic institution indicating a cumulative grade point average. If a transcript is not available because the course has not yet begun, or is still in session at the application deadline, submit a letter of explanation.
- All portions of the application must be completed and submitted; see the Application Checklist for further information.
- Essays MUST fall within the required number of words range; essays not in the word range WILL NOT be considered.
Application deadline is April 6, 2015, at 11:59 PM Eastern Time.