Mark your calendars and join us for the November 2 webinar (part of the Webinar Wednesday series) entitled “The Future of School Breakfast: Strategies for Growth and Expansion.” SNF is offering this webinar in partnership with General Mills Bell Institute of Health and Nutrition; as always, the webinars are free, and can help school food professionals CEUs.
This webinar will discuss the benefits of school breakfast, and strategies and solutions to meet the new proposed USDA guidelines around breakfast. We know that the new meal patterns will offer up some challenges for school food professionals, but we also know that these challenges are opportunities for us to improve the quality of school food—specifically breakfast—and to create better programs and stronger partnerships.
During the November 2 webinar we will hear from three presenters who will offer us information to help us grown and expand school breakfast programs, and do so within the new meal pattern guidelines that are just down the road:
- Ali Dorazio MS, RD is Senior Nutrition Scientist at General Mills Bell Institute of Health and Nutrition. Ali will serve as Moderator for our discussion on November 2.
- Karen Hallford MS, RD, CSP is Nutrition Education Coordinator at Gwinnett Public Schools in Suwanee, GA.
- Byron Sackett is Child Nutrition Director of Lincoln County Schools in Lincolnton, NC.
During our November 2 webinar our panel will identify alternative breakfast models and how they can be implemented, and they will cover four main objectives during the discussion:
- Participants will learn three student benefits of eating breakfast
- Participants will gain knowledge of meeting the major nutrition changes at breakfast in USDA’s proposed rule
- Participants will learn ways to overcome some of the financial concerns of serving school breakfast
- Participants will learn ways to maintain alternative breakfast service
You can register online for our November 2 “Future of School Breakfast” webinar, which will take place at 2 p.m. EDT/1 p.m. CDT/12 p.m. MDT/11 a.m. PDT; the webinar will be approximately 75 minutes in length, and webinar documents (PDF PowerPoint slides) will be available after the webinar, as will Proof of Attendance/CEU forms.
To review more information on the new meal pattern guidelines please reference:
- Best Practice: Menu Changes to Meet the New Proposed Meal Patterns (webinar, original date August 24, 2011). Includes PowerPoint slides of webinar, as well as recipes and resources. Presenters: Sarah Carroll, MPH, Great Trays, Minnesota (presenter); Mary Anderson, Director of Culinary Express, Minnesota (speaker); Wendy Knight, RD, LD, SNS Food & Nutrition Services District 196 Apple Valley-Eagan-Rosemount, Minnesota (speaker); Annette Hendrickx Deroin MPH, RD, SNS, Director of Food & Nutrition Services, Willmar Public Schools, Minnesota (speaker).
- Beyond Breakfast, “Meal Patterns: Information & Resources” (published September 29, 2011): Breakdown of meal pattern proposed changes, and links to online resources to help learn more and prepare for the meal pattern changes.
- USDA Food & Nutrition Service, Child Nutrition Division “Proposed Rule to Update School Lunches and Breakfasts” (PDF PowerPoint slideshow, January 19, 2011)
- USDA Food & Nutrition Service, School Meals: National School Lunch & School Breakfast Programs, Fresh Fruit & Vegetable & Special Milk Program, School Nutrition, and more.