Happy National Nutrition Month! We’re excited to celebrate the importance of making informed food choices and developing sound eating and physical activity habits this month along with our friends at the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics!
This year’s National Nutrition Month theme is “Go Further with Food” because:
“[W]hether it’s starting the day off right with a healthy breakfast, or fueling before an athletic event, the foods you choose can make a difference.”
The timing couldn’t be more perfect—just like starting your day with breakfast gives you a boost, kicking off National Nutrition Month with National School Breakfast Week gives us a boost! Make sure you join us next week as we celebrate both, and don’t miss these upcoming nutrition education opportunities and resources in March.
National School Breakfast Week: March 5-9, 2018
“I Heart School Breakfast” is this year’s National School Breakfast Week theme, and we can’t wait to see your celebrations next week! If you’re participating in NSBW make sure you use the hashtag #NSBW18 when you share on social media, and include other hashtags (when possible) like #schoolbreakfast #nationalnutritionmonth #NNM or #GoFurtherWithFood.
If you need a few last-minute ideas or resources to help you create school breakfast fact sheets for parents and other stakeholders, check out:
- FRAC’s 2016-17 School Breakfast Scorecard: See how your state ranks, learn strategies to help boost participation, and pull out stats and quotes to help you underscore the importance of school breakfast to parents & school stakeholders;
- SNA’s #NSBW18 Toolkit: Get the official School Nutrition Association #NSBW18 Toolkit which includes marketing materials, activity sheets, and more;
- NEA Foundation Breakfast-in-the-Classroom Toolkit: National School Breakfast Week is a great time to pitch BIC to your school’s stakeholders—use this toolkit to craft a plan & presentation;
- Partners for Breakfast in the Classroom: Check out our website for grant information, as well as resources to help you illustrate the benefits of school breakfast/BIC to stakeholders;
- FRAC’s School Breakfast: Making it Work in Large School Districts (SY 2016-17): FRAC breaks down breakfast participation in 75 large school districts around the country—a great companion to the School Breakfast Scorecard.
Mark your calendar for upcoming school breakfast webinars from FRAC & SNA:
- “Community Eligibility Series Part 2: Making it Work with ISPs Below 60 Percent” from SNA (members-only) on Wednesday, March 14, 2018 [register]
- “Community Eligibility: Basics, Benefits, and Best Practices” from FRAC on Thursday, April 12, 2018 [register]
#FoodFri Twitter Chat with FRAC & MomsRising
We’ll be online on Friday, March 9, 2018, at 1 p.m. ET/10 a.m. PT for the National School Breakfast Week #FoodFri Twitter Chat. We’re excited to share ideas, success stories, resources, and inspiration! Don’t forget to follow:
- FRAC @fractweets
- MomsRising @MomsRising
- Partners for Breakfast in the Classroom @BreakfastClsrm
Farm-to-Cafeteria Conference Early Bird Registration Deadline
Interested in attending the 2018 Farm-to-Cafeteria Conference in Cincinnati, Ohio? Early bird registration for the conference ends Friday, March 9, 2018. This year’s Farm-to-Cafeteria Conference will be held April 25-27 and is hosted by the National Farm to School Network.