Funding and resources—these are two things we get the most questions about on Facebook, Twitter, and in our comments section here on the blog. We are always on the lookout for resource opportunities to share with you, and we have quite a list compiled for April! Don’t forget to apply for the Winston Industries Equipment Award Grant–the application period is open through April 30, 2013.
Action for Healthy Kids
Together with partners CSX Transportion, Kellogg Company, and the Walmart Foundation, Action for Healthy Kids has released its “School Grants for Healthy Kids” opportunities for school year 2013-14. Approximately 400 schools will be awarded funds—ranging from $1000-$5000—along with in-kind contributions from AHK in the form of people, programs, and school breakfast and physical activity experts. Award amounts are based on building enrollment, project type, potential impact, and a school’s ability to mobilize parents and students around school wellness initiatives. An April 10, 2013 webinar is scheduled for you to learn more about these grant opportunities.
Click through to read more about the Action for Healthy Kids “School Grants for Healthy Kids” application process.
GENYOUth was funded through a public-private partnership with the National Dairy Council (NDC) and the National Football League (NFL), and they are committed to child health and wellness. Their stated goals:
- Create a movement … to empower and inspire students, schools, communities, and families to take action.
- Aggregate Partnerships and Activate Programs … working with health professionals, government, and corporations to activate resources and programs aligned with obesity prevention.
- Raise funds … secure dollars and in-kind resources to build and support programs in and out of schools to help improve nutrition and access to daily physical activity for all youth.
Click to learn more about GENYOUth Programs and partnerships.
Fuel Up to Play 60
We regularly report on Fuel Up to Play 60 funding, and right now there are two opportunities to secure resources through FUTP60.
- Funds for Fuel Up to Play 60: If you are a regular here at Beyond Breakfast you have probably read about Funds for Fuel Up to Play 60 in the past. The highlights include:
- Awards up to $4000 per year for any qualifying K-12 school enrolled in Fuel Up to Play 60
- Application deadline: June 4, 2013
- Your school must participate in the National School Lunch Program.
- ASAP Acceleration Grants: ASAP Acceleration Grants are an opportunity to secure up to $1000 for your elementary school to launch a new physical activity program is offered through ChildObesity 180 and their Active Schools Acceleration Project.
No Kid Hungry State Grants
No Kid Hungry offers state-by-state school breakfast grant opportunities, such as this one in Arkansas and this one in Connecticut. Find more information on the national No Kid Hungry programs and initiatives on the No Kid Hungry website.
State Funding for Breakfast Programs
Does your state offer breakfast programs? You may be eligible for state funding, such as these school breakfast grants offered in Illinois and Colorado. Here is a handy aggregated list of state websites.
Industry grants are out there—check with your industry partners to see if they have funding opportunities for your school nutrition program.
Food Research and Action Center Recommendations
Do you know of a scholarship, grant, or funding opportunity not listed above? Leave the information in our comments, or share it on our Facebook page!